Prayer to Mark 50 Years of OccupationJune 7, 2017
We have witnessed the Israeli occupation of Palestine and in this 50th year we pray for jubilee.
Canadian Friends of Sabeel (CFOS) invites our Canadian supporters and partner contacts to take time this June to mark the 50 long years of occupation of Palestine. As small groups or as individuals, reflect on the glimpses of the occupation you have witnessed in Palestine, pray for liberation, and renew your commitment to action.
Here are some suggested resources you can use:
- Prayer to Mark 50 Years of Occupation, United Church of Canada
- Reflection by Nora Carmi: Can 2017 be the Jubilee year for Palestinians and Israelis alike?
We want to share with our Palestinian partners that Canadians are still committed to working with them in the struggle for liberation. Please send CFOS an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you participate in this call for reflection and prayer, if you wish you are welcome to sign this sample letter to partners.
Renew your commitment to action:
- Say “Enough” to 50 Years of Occupation, the Take Action call from the United Church of Canada has letter writing suggestions
- Read the Kairos Palestine document from 2009 and the calls to action from Palestinian partners.
- Find out if there is a local Palestinian solidarity group in your area that you can volunteer with
- Connect with the United Network for Justice and Peace in Palestine and Israel
- Learn about the Unsettling Goods Campaign of the United Church of Canada
- Go on a “Come and See” witness trip, an authentic Christian pilgrimage to the Holy Land.
You shall hallow the fiftieth year and you shall proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you: you shall return, every one of you, to your property and every one of you to your family. That fiftieth year shall be a jubilee for you…Land will not be sold absolutely, for the land belongs to me, and you are only strangers and guests of mine. You will allow a right of redemption over any ancestral property. (from Lev. 25)